Learning how to clean a bike chain with household products is an excellent way to cut down your budget. That way, you get to enjoy the benefits of a clean bike chain without spending too much. For instance, grease on your pants or legs after a ride will be a thing of the past. Handling a flat tire will also be simple since no dealing with too much dirt and grease.
There is also the other significant bit of improving your bike’s performance. That is because adventures such as springtime blooms, desert and weight rides among others come with consequences. They include wed or red mud as well as accumulation of pollen.
As a result, grit develops. If left uncleaned for an extended time, the aftermath may be unbearable. There are high chances that shifting and pedaling will be rough and tiring.
On the other hand, wear will be intense. That will lead to the use of too much energy and many damages and expensive repairs.
That is why you need to learn how to clean a bike chain with household products. It will offer you long and great services from your bike. In addition to that, you will spend relatively little on repair and replacement of various parts. Read on to identify how to do this cost-saving and important exercise.
How to clean a bike chain with household products
The requirements if you need to clean your bike chain
• A bucket.
• Small sponge
• Chain brush
• De-greaser or chain cleaner
• Chain Lube
• Old toothbrush
• Hot soapy water
How to clean a bike chain with household products when the chain is removable
1. First, place your bike in a convenient position. A good idea is using a work stand or putting it upside down. The work stand will hang your bike. Regardless of the option, you should access the chain easily.
2. Identify not only the type but also the state of your bike chain.
3. Ensure that you have all the tools mentioned above.
4. Start by washing the chain using a soft brush and a sponge. Brush off the dirt and grit with the brush. Make sure that the water is hot. The reason is that you will be dealing with oil as well.
5. For the stubborn dry grime, you can pick them with a screwdriver.
6. Soak your chain in a degreaser to remove grit and excess dirt.
7. Remove it and put it in hot water to rinse the degreaser.
8. Use a dry rag to clean dry your chain.
9. Then, apply lubricant on the chain. When doing that, put a small drop in every roller. In addition to that, ensure that it does not drip on the frame.
10. Use a dry rag to remove excess lube from the chain.
11. Return it on the bike.
How to clean a bike chain with household products when the chain is not removable
1. In this case, you will have to remove the rear wheel. Subsequently, replace it with a chain keeper. That puts it in a position that will allow convenient cleaning of the bike.
2. Use a brush as well as a degreaser to clean the dirt on the bike chain.
3. Use a low-pressure stream of water to rinse.
4. Find a clean rag that can dry the chain.
5. You can leave it for some time for it to dry. If not that, use compressed air to dry it quickly.
6. Get rid of the chain keeper.
7. Return the rear wheel.
8. Finally, lubricate the bike chain.
The mention of the de-greasers and other cleaning tools have been frequent. That explains the need to highlight some of the best household products to use when washing. Take a look at them.
Some household products ideal for cleaning a bike chain
1. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner
It is a great cleaner as well as de-greaser by Simple Green. It is often used to clean various surfaces in your house. Why not when they are safe to use of painted, rough, plastic and glass surfaces among others. In addition to that, you can use it to clean your bike chain.
It will spare neither the grime nor the grease. Despite being harsh on the dirt, it is gentle on the surfaces. The concentration can be diluted differently depending on your current need. In this case, it is advisable that it be highly concentrated.
It is also environmentally free. In fact, it is both non-toxic and biodegradable. Therefore, do not hesitate to consider it when cleaning the chain.
How to clean a bike chain with this household product
• Spray the household product on the bike chain.
• Then, wait for some time.
• After that, wash your bike chain.
• Finally, rinse until the soap is no more.
2. Pledge Multi Surface Everyday Cleaner.
This household product is a 99 percent natural formula that can be of great help when cleaning a bike chain. Its versatility will amaze you. It can do much including cleaning and polishing.
Additionally, it can dust and also clean chrome. It is safe to use on electronics, stainless steel, granite,and granite.
In addition to cleaning the bike, it also ensures that there is little accumulation of dirt. Don’t forget that the dirt can affect the performance of your bike. Its great small is the icing on the cake. It will not leave a residue behind either. Not even grease will bother you when cleaning.
3. Pine-Sol Multi-Surface Cleaner, Lemon Fresh
The same way it helps you with your floors. This household product will also clean your bike chain. It is ideal for rebuilding even a motor.
Why not when it can clean carbon build up on any part? The requirement is to soak your bike chain in Pine-Sol. It will remove not only the grit but also grease. Using on steel as well as aluminum is safe. Its fresh lemon scent is pleasant as well.
4. Wet Ones Antibacterial Hand Wipes.
It is yet another household product that is ideal for de-greasing. It will wipe grease from the chain and grease easily. When it is time to clean away that annoying grime, you should not hesitate to grab these wipes. They come inside a convenient canister.
In addition to being compact, they can fit in any cup holder. Do you need to fix the bike chain when in the move? You need notworry about your hands. The wipes will also clean your hands. Do not expect dry or irritated hands. It is a sanitizer that will kill 99% germs.
5. Brasso Multi-Purpose Metal Polish
When this brand by the name of Brasso says that the product is multi-purpose, it means that exactly. It is a metal polish that is safe to use of various metals. They include bronze, pewter, aluminum, and chrome. In addition to that, it can clean stainless steel, copper, and brass.
The shine is usually long-lasting. Once winter is over, you can use it to clean your bike. That includes the chain. It can also work on plates, locks as well as knobs just to mention but a few. If you use it, expect brilliant shine.
6. Easy Off Professional Fume Free Max Oven Cleaner
If you have used it before to clean your oven, you know all too well that it does its job as per the expectations. That is the same case when it comes to cleaning a bike chain. It is also safe to use it on the entire bike. It usually cleans without fumes.
Fortunately, t is also safe on your hands hence no need for a pair of protective gloves. However, it will not spare even grease. It uses the advanced cold-oven technology. It facilitates deep penetration thus removes all the dirt.
How to clean a bike chain with this household product
1. You should spray it on the area you intend to clean. In this case, it is your bike chain.
2. Wait for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Wipe it off using a soft cloth.
4. If you don’t get the desired results, repeat. Patience will pay no doubt.
From this discussion, it is evident that you don’t have to look far for items to clean your bike chain. There are household products that can do that well. The above piece also discusses a step by step guide on how to clean your bike chain.
You will no longer pay much money for the professional services of the same. Equally important, you will be doing it from the comfort of your house.
If your chain is removable, the procedure is at your disposal. That is the same case for the non-removable ones. Don’t forget that cleaning your bike chain is not an option. The consequences of not doing so are harsh. Therefore, you can’t afford the mistake. Consider the household products above for a clean bike chain